Missionary and volunteer personnel from Australia, Japan, Norway, the Philippines, Singapore, Sweden, the UK, the USA, and Thailand have served at the hospital over the years. These personnel have included doctors, nurses, pharmacists, dentists, physiotherapists, plumbers, bookkeepers and electricians who have generously contributed their talents, made a substantial contribution to the outreach of the hospital and have been a great encouragement to the hospital staff.
We continue to welcome applications from people who have skills to offer to the hospital’s ministry in serving the health needs of the community and sharing the Gospel. We welcome applications for periods of service from 1 week to 1 year, and we would ask volunteers to help cover their expenses with donations towards their board and living expenses.
The following sections provide further information to help when thinking about applying to serve with us.
The following list identifies roles where the hospital has immediate needs:
- Lab Technician / Medical Technologist
- Tutor for high school students (see Human Resource Development)
- Medical personnel working in the areas of: Family Physician / General Practitioner, Surgeons, Infectious Diseases, Anaesthetists, Paediatricians, Obstetrics and Gynaecology and Internists
However, please do not be put off if your skills are not listed here! We welcome applications from any willing trained individual who would like to offer their time and skills, and we will give careful consideration to how your skills may be used.
We would also welcome applications to partner with us in the longer term, as we seek to develop the services that the hospital offers. We would welcome applications for long-term work by medical personnel working in the following areas:
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology
We welcome applications from medical students to spend their elective period at KRCH. We prefer students to be in their final year of studies.
We are able to offer elective placements of up to four weeks. Students are responsible for their travel, accommodation, visa and food expenses.
We would ask that you contact us well in advance, so that you can be sure of obtaining a placement as we have many requests. Following initial contact, we require a letter from your medical school / training institute confirming your training period and the name of your medical school supervisor.
If you would like to apply for a medical elective placement, or would like any further information, please contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Apply
If you would like to partner with us by volunteering or undertaking a medical elective, or would like any further information, please contact us by emailing email@example.com.
Living In Nong Lu / Huay Malai
KRCH is located in Chong Lu village which adjoins, and functions as one with, Huay Malai village, and both of which fall within the area of Nong Lu.
The village has the following facilities:
- two churches – Sangklaburi Christian Church and Jordan Church;
- a vibrant weekly market, where a wide variety of food non-food items can be purchased – this is the main source of fresh food for cooking
- a small number of shops that sell food and non-food items;
- a number of stalls and visiting vans that sell fresh food;
- a number of daytime eating places; and
- a hairdresser.
The village can be accessed from Bangkok by the following means:
- a 6 hour journey by private car / taxi;
- a 7-8 hour bus journey direct to Sangklaburi, followed by a 30 minute sorng taaou / motorcycle taxi journey;
- a 6-7 hour mini-van journey, changing at Kanchanaburi for Sangklaburi, followed by a 30 minute sorng taaou / motorcycle taxi journey.
The village is covered ONLY by the AIS cell phone network, which operates under the 'GSM' and 'One-2-Call' brands. The hospital has an internet connection with a Wi-Fi network.
The hospital has on-site accommodation for staff and volunteers, in apartments which each have indoor kitchen, shower and toilet facilities. The accommodation costs:
- 6,000 Baht (US$200) per month (without meals)
- 500 Baht (US$16.5) per day, with 3 meals per day
- 250 Baht (US$8.25) per day (without meals)
The above costs are inclusive of gas/electricity/water, internet access and laundry service. The hospital can provide meals alone, i.e. without accommodation, in the short term for 250 baht per person per day or 70 Baht for breakfast and 100 Baht each for lunch and evening meals.
When the hospital vehicle is not being used for hospital work, it can be hired by those who have an International Driving Permit (charged per kilometre).
The nearby town of Sangklaburi, 16 Km from KRCH in a beautiful location on the shore of the Khao Laem Reservoir, provides a good number of facilities not available in Nong Lu / Huay Malai, including:
- a daily market, several small supermarkets, a 7-11 convenience store, hardware stores, a cell phone shop and a gas station;
- banks, ATMs and a post office; and,
- coffee shops, restaurants, guest houses and gift shops.